When looking for the essential pots and pans for the kitchen, you have to estimate in advance the type and the quality of cookware which you would need in the future.
However, stocking up the kitchen with the right pieces it may not be an easy task.
For instance, instead of buying each and every kitchen utensil which you set your sight on, it is a better idea to pick up the essentials in advance so that whenever you need them, you are able to just pull them out and start using them instead of thinking of buying them at that point in time.
17 Essential Pots And Pans For The Kitchen
Today we would make this task easier for you by listing the 17 essential pots and pans for the kitchen.If you already have a fully equipped kitchen, you might have a few of them in your kitchen. However, if you’re creating your own culinary space from scratch, these are the essentials which you should always stock up.Not all of them would be used on a regular basis. We would first start with the ones which you would need almost on a daily basis.
1. Cast Iron Skillet:
A 12 inch cast iron skillet is one of the most versatile cookware which you should have in your kitchen. It is pretty versatile as it can help you in searing steak as well as frying chicken of even frying pancakes.Owing to the greater thickness of the Skillet it can also be used for frying as well as making the crusts much crispier.
2. Large Enameled Dutch Oven:
The Dutch oven is the perfect option for recipes which require searing first and then gentle cooking. It is one of the best options when you are opting for slow cooking.Some of the recipes which you can easily create in the dutch oven are:
- Chipotle barbacoa
- Spicy Pork
- Green pepper and corn soup
- Roasted cauliflower and Barley
Which one should you choose?It is a better idea to go with the one which provides you with the greatest time range. This ensures that you are able to slow cook on it quite easily.
3. Straight-Sided Sauté Pan:
The sauté pan of 12-inch is one of an essential cookware which you should have in your cooking arsenal. The larger base is perfect for searing your food and the sides prevent the food from spilling out.The 12-inch variant would surely help you handle ample volume of food. Most of the sauté pan comes with a lid which fits in perfectly which ensures that you are able to opt for slow cooking as well.Some examples of the recipes which you can easily create in the sauté pan are:
- Red wine braised turkey legs
- Braised chicken with Hatch chilies and white beans
Which one should you choose?You have to choose a lighter weight saute pan which is all clad. 12 inches is more than enough for a normal family.
4. Wok:A wok is a perfect option for stir-frying as well deep drying. It is also designed in such a way that consumption of the oil would be minimum. This makes it easier for you to fry your food.Also, by using certain modifications in your cooking technique, you can even use it for smoking or steaming your food.
Some of the examples of the recipes which can be made in a wok are:
- Chicken stir-fry
- Mu Shu Pork Wraps
- Sweet and sour chicken
- Shrimp and asparagus stir-fry
Which one should you choose?While choosing a wok, the gauge of the wok is important. You should at least choose one with 1.5 to 2 mm of gauge. Also, if it is made from carbon steel, you can be sure that it would last for a longer period of time.
5. A Saucier:
Saucier slop-sided pan provides you with the advantage of rounded edges and deep structure to cook your food nicely without splashing it outside.The 3-quart size is one of the perfect option is to create something like a soup for up to 6 people. Just to give you an idea about the volume in sight, the 3-quart saucier can hold a volume of up to 2 wine bottles.
The saucier can also be used for boiling as well as poaching of eggs. Some examples of the recipes which can be made in the Saucier are:
- Parmesan risotto
- Sautéed Vegetables
- Lemon soup
Which one should you choose?The 3-quart stainless steel saucier pan is the perfect option if you’re looking for personal usage.
6. Nonstick Skillet:Even though, we have already mentioned the normal Skillet. A nonstick skillet is actually pretty useful these days in order to reduce the amount of oil which we put in our food.
A 10-inch nonstick skillet is a perfect option for personal usage. Also, if you are having an induction cooktop at home, you need to opt for a nonstick skillet which can work with the induction cooktop as well.
Some examples of the recipes which you can cook in the nonstick skillet are:
- Spanish tortilla
Which one should you choose?A 10-inch nonstick skillet is more than enough for personal use.
We would now share with you a few other pots and pans which are essential in the kitchen but which aren’t used regularly.
7. Grill Pan:Grill pans have become quite popular in the last few years. They can also serve as a replacement for a barbecue. Grill pans are pretty versatile and can help you in cooking a lot of recipes like:
- Marinated vegetables
Which one should you choose?You can choose an 11-inch grill pan which would be more than sufficient for personal use.
8. Broiler Pan:Ovens have become an integral part of our cooking these days. That is why a pan which can help you in cooking in the oven is pretty essential for your kitchen. This function is fulfilled by the broiler pan. These are much thicker as compared to the normal baking sheet pans.That is why they are pretty useful when you want to cook food at high temperatures. They also consist of grooves which can drain the fat oozing out. Below the broiler pan, you can place a draining pan to catch the fat dripping while cooking. Some of the recipes which can be made with the help of broiler pan are:
- Crispy Skin Salmon
- Chicken Fajitas
- Marinated Lamb Chops
Which one should you choose?You should choose the broiler pan according to the dimensions of your oven. You need to make sure that the broiler pan which you are choosing should have a draining pan along with it.
9. Roaster:A roaster helps you in getting big chunks of meat and making them in a single pan and in collecting all the juices as you cook them. Some of the recipes which can be made in a roaster are:
- Maple roasted chicken and sweet potatoes
- Roasted cod with crisp potatoes
Which one should you choose?You need to look into the volume of food which can be accommodated in the roaster before choosing one.
10. Loaf Pan:A loaf pan is pretty useful for making sandwich bread as well as other types of bread. Some of the recipes which you can make with the loafing pan are:
- Cheese logs
Which one should you choose?You need to look at the size of the pan before choosing the loafing pan.
11. Non-Stick Pizza Pan:Nonstick pizza pan would help you make the perfect pizza which you want while maintaining proper consistency while heating the crust. The recipes which can be made with the nonstick pizza pan are pretty self-explanatory. It can help you in making any type of pizza.
Which one should you choose?You have to look at the diameter of the nonstick pizza pan before choosing one.
12. Bakeware Muffin Pan:Muffin Pan is your best option for making small muffins as well as cupcakes. These can easily cook multiple muffins at once. With the help of muffin pan, you can even make recipes like:
- Mini Frittatas
Which one should you choose?You need to look at the number of options which can be made in it and thereafter choose the muffin pan.
13. Pie Pan:Pie is such a common delicacy in our homes that a pie pan would always be needed. You have to make sure that it has proper edges in order to get that crispy edge which we all like in our pies. We can create multiple types of pies using a single pie pan. Some of the other recipes which you can make with a pie pan are:
Which one should you choose?You have to just look at the edges of the pie pan before choosing one. The edges should be round, smooth and protruding.
14. Stainless Steel Pasta Pot:A pasta pot as the name suggests is primarily for cooking huge quantities of pasta. Some of the other tasks for which you can make use of the pasta pot are:
- Cooking potatoes
- Making stew
- Boiling lobsters
Which one should you choose?You should choose the pasta pot which has a capacity of at least 8 quart.
15. Large Stockpot:A large stockpot is especially useful when you want to cook in bulk. You need not do rounds to cook the same recipe or leave half of the food uncooked when you’re cooking food for larger groups.
With the help of the largest port, it would become easier for you to cook in bulk at once. Some examples of the recipes which can be cooked in a large stockpot are:
- Whole country ham
- Pasta Sauce of fresh tomatoes in bulk
Which one should you choose?You should choose a large stockpot which is at least 6 Quart in capacity and has deep straight sides.
16. Baking Sheets and Cooling Racks:Rimmed baking sheets and cooling racks help you in creating a lot of different types of baked foodstuffs. Some examples of the recipes which you can create with the help of baking sheets as well as cooling racks are:
- Whole Turkey
- Whole chicken
Which one should you choose?Rimmed baking sheets are better as compared to other variants.
17. Large Baking Dish:A casserole is good enough for large-scale baking. Also, you should opt for one which has a high quality glazed ceramic finish. This ensures that the food cooks more evenly in it. Some examples of recipes cooked in such large baking dishes are:
- Summer vegetable lasagna
- Easy tuna casserole
- Hamburger Potato Casserole
Which one should you choose?You should pick the casserole having glazed ceramic finish.So, if you’re looking at the best basic cookware set which you should stock your kitchen up with, these are the pots and pans which you should buy for your kitchen.